The Upcoming Summer Semester
The university is planning to continue the blended learning concept for the summer term 2021. The lecture period will start on April 12th 2021 and end on July 16th 2021.
There will be courses that can be taken completely online. There will, however, also be courses that will adapt to the current state of the pandemic and, thus, may change their mode of teaching.
Check out the faculty’s website for more detailed information on the faculty’s concept: https://www.wi.tum.de/shaping-the-new-campus-life/
According to the TUM Corona website, the Bavarian State Ministry for Science and the Arts has announced the extension of deadlines to achieve academic progress requirements by another semester for the summer term 2021.
BUT: There has not been a decision on the extension for degree programs where a certain number of fundamentals module examinations has to be taken by the end of the second semester of enrollment.
Your Student Card with validation/validity for the winter semester 2020/21 will also be valid in the summer semester 2021 as a MVV travel authorization in the off-peak hours. Thus you do not need to worry if you are unable to validate your TUM Student Card in the summer semester 2021 – you will still be able to use public transport in Munich.
Check out the university’s corona website regularly to stay up to date on the latest news: https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/studies/
TUM SOM Seminar Tool
The application period for next semester’s seminars and other limited courses is coming up – so make sure you apply via TUMonline if you are keen on participating in one or more of these courses.
Quick recap of the most important facts: there will be a total of 4 categories: Bachelor Seminars, Other limited courses (Bachelor), Master Seminars, Other limited courses (Master). You will be able to set priorities from 1-5 per category. The application period will last from March 24th until April 6th. The allocation of places will take place on April 7th.
We have prepared some handy tips for you in relation to the new application process via TUMonline. An email to all students will also soon be sent out by the faculty regarding those issues.
- If you need guidance in relation to the application process and the setting of priorities, you can inform yourself via the TUM SOM Course Planning Manual (of particular interest are pages 17/18)
- You can find an overview of all available courses per category by accessing the TUMonline application procedure of one course of the respective category. If you do so, you will find a list of all the courses which are part of the same category. Alternatively you can reach the overview site by searching for one of the courses via the course search in TUMOnline. For your guidance, we have listed one exemplary course per category that you can search for.
- Bachelor Seminars: WI001252
- Bachelor Other limited Courses: WI001159
- Master Advanced Seminars: WIB25001_2
- Master Other limited Courses: WIB04963
- Courses where not all spaces could be allocated by April 5th will be published in the orange framed news section under the course scheduling section on the website of the respective program, so keep an eye open for any updates there on April 6th. If you are interested in one of the published courses there, you can contact the lecturer to ask for a space. As places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis, we advise you to be quick.
- Especially in regard to moving up from the waiting list (status = requirements met) to a fixed place, things are very different this year. There will be no possibility to participate in the first lecture of a course without having been assigned a fixed place. Moving up to a fixed place is only possible through the 2 official rounds of reallocation of free places done centrally via TUMonline (April 11th & April 17th 2021). If you are assigned a fixed place in one of those two rounds, you will be able to take the course regardless of whether the first lecture has already taken place. Should you encounter any problems in this regard, you can contact the seminar team under [email protected]. However, for the new procedure to work, it is crucial that you sign off any courses where you have been assigned a fixed place if you do not plan to actually take them!