Welcome Week Hiking Trips Recap

On October 15th and 22nd, the Student Council organized two hiking trips for new freshers to get to know each other and the beautiful Bavarian countryside.

October 15th

The first trip had the Mangfall river as its destination. Starting at the train station (S7 Kreuzstraße), the group headed to the Mangfall aqueduct also known as the Teufelsgrabenbrücke (devil’s trench brick). Built in 1890, the massive arch bridge was built as part of a long-distance pipeline to ensure Munich’s drinking water supply originating in the district of Miesbach. In 1989 the bridge was decommissioned in favor of a newly built culvert. Today the bridge is under monument protection.

The group went on to cross the river at the Mangfall rapids. The rapids are a small highlight of the trip, and the view can be enjoyed directly from the small bridge above. Following the path for a couple of kilometers, the way eventually leads to another crossing at Anderlmühle. After continuing to head south the group crossed the river again at the halfway mark. The way back up north snuggly follows the winding river path and eventually leads to the Mangfal trail. This slightly more technical section of the hike brings the group back to the bridge at Anderlmühle.

After crossing they headed to the sculpture path also known as Skulptur-Lichtung (sculpture clade). The installation features artwork by local artist Tobal made from stone, wood, and nylon. He seeks to create “art that, at the river and in the forest, creates a symbiosis with nature.” Every year international artists join him to create new art at the riverbank. The remaining way leads the group back to the train station passing the Mangfall aqueduct once again.

In summary, it’s an easy and enjoyable hike that can easily be reached with public transportation from Munich.

Further information can be found here.

October 22nd

The second hike led the group to Kloster Andechs. The historic Benedictine monastery is renowned for its traditional Bavarian art of brewing. The monastic brewery dates back to 1455 and is to this day run by the monks of Andechs Abbey. The brewery produces above 100.000 hectoliters of beer every year that is served at the abbey and exported domestically and worldwide. Kloster Andechs is best known for its Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel – a traditional Bavarian brew that was first created in Munich by monks of the Order of Minims in 1629. Minims are strictly observant of Lent which means they are only allowed to consume liquid food during that time of fasting. The “liquid bread” used to come in the form of Hofbräuhaus Bock beer. After having been granted the right to brew beer themselves by Bavarian Elector Maximilian I. the Minims created their own stronger Bock by increasing the original extract. The result was a beer that was more nourishing thanks to its higher caloric density and over 7% ABV. Thus, Doppelbock was born.

The trip started at the train station in Herrsching am Ammersee (S8). After leaving the town the route follows a forest path gently increasing the elevation until reaching a set of stairs dubbed “Stairway to Heaven” leading up to the Benedictine priory. At the Abbey the group enjoyed a cold Doppelbock while taking in the beautiful view of the Alps. The way back diverged from the forest path they previously took and lead them to the Ammersee lakeshore path. After a refreshing dip in the lake at the idyllic beach promenade, the group headed back to the train station and back to Munich.

Thanks to being easily reachable by train the hike to Kolster Andechs is a worthwhile undertaking for everyone interested in the history of Bavarian beer brewing culture and beautiful scenery.

Further information can be found here.

Thank you to everyone who came out and participated in these trips.

Your Student Council TUM SOM

© Copyright - TUM-BWL e.V.