FAQ – For International Students

The Student Council TUM School of Management welcomes you to Munich and congratulates you on your admission!
You have managed to overcome the major hurdles to study in Germany and are looking forward to have a great time as a student in our beloved city.

We have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions that could serve as useful information. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us via our Email.
We hope you will get used to the German lifestyle soon, enjoy yourself and feel home here in Munich. It is an awesome place to stay, we are sure you will agree on this soon!

Technical University of Munich

What is the Student Council and where is it located?

You will often hear of the Student Council TUM SOM, or as it is called in German “Fachschaft”. It consists only of students, who decided to spend some of their free time helping you out with whatever need you have, as far as possible. It consists of students from the TUM School of Management who aim to improve your studies wherever possible. We are your very first contact for personal needs or any concerns towards lectures.

Our rooms are located on the third floor of the TUM School of Management building. The room number of our office is 3574. If you’re not in Germany or we can’t find a time that works for you, you can always contact us via our contact form.

What is the TUM Campus App?

The TUM Campus App is an application for all mobile phones with iOS or Android, designed especially for TUM students. After signing in with you TUM online ID the app and its features shall help you in your daily student life.
Packed with these features, the app will become your trusty companion on the campus:

  •  A calendar with your personal schedule and important appointments. You’ll never be late for lectures again
  • The room finder, the most useful feature for freshmen and the new students on the campus of Munich or Garching. Put in the name or the number of the room you are looking for, and the app shows you on a clear map the place you have to go
  • The food plan of the cafeteria at every campus is updated daily, so you will always know when it’s time to take a trip to the “Mensa” for lunch
  • Be up to date with what is going on in our university and our faculty with the NEWS feature. Whether it’s important announcements, guest lectures, or just interesting articles, you will find them there.

The TUM Campus App is available for download in App store and the Google Play Store!

Living in Munich

What is the Semesterticket?

With your TUM student ID card you are allowed use all services of the MVV network from 6 pm to 6 am during the week, and without time limits during the weekend and on public holidays. This service is included in the tuition fee you pay at the beginning of the semester.
The additional MVV semester ticket is the IsarCard Semester for students which allows you to take S-Bahn, subways, busses and certain trains in the MVV network without any time limitations.

Where and how to get it?
You can buy it at every MVV ticket vending machine. After choosing the university you belong to, you have to enter your student ID number. Always carry your student ID and the ticket together when taking the public transportation services and have fun exploring Munich and the places around whenever you want.

Where to get cheap furnitures?

For cheap furniture in Germany, there are some options.

Ikea is one of the biggest furniture provider in Munich, you might already have heard of it, their furniture is easily constructed and very price-efficient.
There are two big locations: Eching and Brunnthal
Another option would be Ebay Kleinanzeigen, which provides used furniture which is usually in very
good or good condition. There is the website or also an app available on App Store/ Play Store. You have to set the correct region then you are already ready to find your right furniture.
Last but not least, there are several blackboards, in the cantine as well as in the StuCafe. You will find more online as well by searching „black board Munich“.

How does Health Insurance work in Germany?

Every student in Germany needs to have a health-insurance. You should already have a health-insurance before coming to Germany.

To get some information please visit https://www.studying-in-germany.org/health-insurance-germany/;

Where to get an Bank Account?

There are a lot of free bank accounts for international students.

You can find an overview of some bank accounts here:


Here you find what you need for opening a bank account:


Please keep in mind that we pay a lot in cash here in Germany. Therefore you should choose a bank account where you easily withdraw money without fees.

Many banks provide nowadays online-verification methods to verify your identity for opening a bank account.

How can you find an accommodation in Munich?

Finding accommodation in Munich is not an easy step. You should start searching early for a place to live. Here are some suggestions that might help you get an apartment faster:

  1. Send as many e-mails/messages as possible asking to visit the apartment – not everyone who posted an announcement will answer back
  2. Prepare the required documents – proofs of income, guarantees and even a CV might increase the landlord’s trust in you.
  3. Make a good impression when you visit the flat – bring the needed documents with you and ask questions, showing that you are interested in getting the room. Also, smile and be kind.
  4. Decide quickly when you get a positive response –not all your visits will result in an affirmative answer from the landlord. So when you receive an offer, consider its benefits and downsides and let the owner know about your decision as soon as possible, before they turn to someone else.

Now some ideas about where you can search for a room:

Be prepared to make trade-offs between the price, the size and the location of the flat. The perfect room might be impossible to find.

ATTENTION! Never transfer money nor send copies of your documents unless you are 100% sure that the flat actually exists. The Internet is full of frauds.

The University Sports Center/ ZHS (Zentraler Hochschulsport)

What do I need in order to take advantage of ZHS’ facilities and classes?

Anyone who wishes to participate in classes or use the facilities of the ZHS must own a ZHS participant ID with the appropriate tags for each class. The IDs and semester tags are issued at the TUM Campus at Olympia Park. For a ZHS ID, you need to bring along the following:

  • Online order confirmation of the corresponding tag(s)
  • One-time signed SEPA mandate (permission form for direct debit)
  • Student ID (Student card)
  • Recent passport picture (min. 2.5 x 4 cm) (no digital copy)
    IDs are not issued without tags; they are only valid with the semester tags. Also, keep in
    mind that the online confirmation of the reservation does not replace the tag

What are the Semester Tags?

The Semester Tags (“Semestermarken” in German) are your key of access to the different areas where the classes take place. There are four tags you can use: Tag H,Tag S, Tag F and Tag K

  • Events in the swimming pool (classes and open swimming): Tag S
  • All other events: Tag H
  • Access to fitness studios and rehabilitation: Tags H+F
  • Access to climbing facility: Tags H+K

In order to get the Tags F or K, you need to own the F-Stamp, respectively the K-Stamp. You can obtain these stamps by taking part in an introduction class in these sports. For the introduction classes you are only required to own Tag H.

For more information please visit the webiste of the ZHS.

What classes are provided?

The ZHS offers classes in team sports, water sports, climbing, fitness, martial arts,
dance, gymnastics, athletics and winter sports. You can check out the all the available
courses on the ZHS Webpage or get in touch with them via Email.